Thursday, April 5, 2007

My All Time Favourite Mandarin Song

Song: 最快乐的那一年
Artiste : 梁静茹 Fish Leong

Here's how the story goes...

This song actually "belongs" to me and my ex gf. And it only came about after we broke up, so for those of you who understand the song, you will know its so suitable for broken up couples.

But thats not all. I usually meet up with this ex gf of mine for lunch or dinner or whatever. So on this particular night (about 2 years ago) , we went for drinks at a pub, and I dropped her home after that at around 12+am. So I was driving home, switching radio stations to find something which suits my mood.... and this suddenly I heard this song.

At that time the song was close to the end, so I only heard from the chorus (我们最快乐的那一年 onwards...) onwards. Imagine with just that 20secs, I was so into the song and was hoping that the DJ would announce the name of the song or even the singer. But that did not happen. So I thought maybe I'll call my ex to ask if she heard the song, and whether she knew of the song.

But just before I reached for my handphone, my ex called me. And she was all excited asking "Did you hear it? did u hear it? the song over 93.3? Do you know what song was that?"

"Ya I did and was about to call to to ask about the same thing. I think its by Fish Leong, but I dunno the name. Very nice, very touching lyrics. .... dunno about the front part, but the rest definitely describes us.... "

"Ya.....really lor...very nice.... just like describing our past and emotions"

OK so how many times do you people come across a song that describes 100% of what you are going through, and on top of that the person involved in it actually heard the song at the same time, called u just when u are about to call her, AND is just like you, never heard the song before but totally loves it?

I promised her that I'll go find out about the song and get the CD. You won't be able to imagine how difficult it is to find a song which you only know the ending and not even sure of the artiste. So what I did was I bought and borrowed all the Fish Leong CDs that I could find and listened to every single song. Darn! Wasn't there!

So I looked up on the net and I found there was an album from Fish that was missing from what I had. Believe of not... this album, cannot be found in the CD shops of JB and even the famous "pirated" stores in JB do not have it! (or at least for the one month that I was bz looking).

So the other option was to search from the net. I typed in all the lyrics as well as I could remember, but at could not find the right song. I was doing this everyday for a week, and was about to try other ways when upon closer inspection of the search box, HUH???? HOW COULD I HAVE TYPED IN A WRONG WORD??? *&%^&%^*(&!! I replaced the error and within 10 mins, I found the song!!!!

Yes, the song was in that elusive Fish Leong album afterall. You guys can't imagine my joy when I finally got the song. Was so happy that I had teary eye and all. Serious!!! :)

Listening the whole song for the 1st time... its like having found your true love.... hahahahaha

Ok.... here's the lyrics :

一部怀旧的电影淋湿了心情
An old movie dampens my heart
你的爱还在旅行或已定居哪里
Your love is still on holiday, but where will it settle down upon?
也许遗憾和年轻总绑在一起
Maybe regrets will always come along as you age
不容许一点委屈等放手才懂惋惜
Never allowing ourselves to suffer, but regretting it as soon as we've lost each other
静下心来发现过去大半是甜蜜回忆
When you think about about it calmly, you realise most of the memories are sweet ones

我最快乐那一年
During my happiest year
是你陪我经历一切
You accompanied me thru everything
什么都生动又强烈
Things were so lively and the feelings were so strong
有真正在活着的感觉
That It feels like I'm truely alive
我们最快乐的那一年
Our happiest year
像浓缩了最精华的时间
Was like a condensed amount of time
短暂却永远是火焰
Short, but will always be like a flame
在情绪冰凉时暖和心田
Warming our hearts when we are feeling cold

多留恋都不能活在从前
No matter how we miss our past, we cannot live in it
决定不愁眉苦脸不让深爱的人挂念
We promised not to look sad, so that we will not be missed by the one whom we love so deeply.

Have to forgive my translation... Its very difficult to translate Mandarin songs coz the syntax and grammer is so different... hhahahaa But that's the gist of it. Touching, isn't it?

No comments: