Friday, March 23, 2007

Bloggers = anonymity = no credibility?

I was reading up on my local newspaper and recently there are issues regarding bloggers in general. Apparently, local newspapers "should not quote anonymous bloggers as this was as good as quoting a poison pen letter".

Hmmmm and I guess it all boils down to human nature. If I'm singing praises, be it to the government, organisation or any individual, I would have no qualms about using my own name, of course. But if however I'm gonna say anything "not so nice", of course I would prefer to be anonymous.

Whether or not a anonymous blog has any credibility on any official/unofficial issues should be up to the relevant authorities to investigate. My feeling is that this is the same as the authorities receiving an anonymous tip. So if this tip is anonymous, are they just not going to do anything?

Yes yes... I agree that "blog postings could create confusion and feelings of hatred and bigotry in youths" but that's where education and responsibility comes in. The world is advancing every day, and although we do not need to embrace new technology unquestioningly, neither should we not understand it. Please do not try to "de-advance" just because it may create problems. Deal with it the right and proper way... pls!

And with regard to newspapers publishing any blog, anonymous or not, I feel newspapers are just doing what they are suppose to do. REPORTING. Bringing news to the masses. They are reporting that there is such a, such blog entry by whoever and they are not wrong. The free flow of information should not be restricted.

A blog is a blog. Its just a online diary, whether public or not. Its a person's opinion, a person's thoughts. Whether you believe what you read and see is up to you. Bloggers should be responsible BUT readers should be too!

No comments: