Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Lightning Fried My Modem This Afternoon!!!! :(

Its the end of the year again when we are greeted by the annual monsoon season.

This afternoon was greeted by the typical thunderstorm - heavy rains with lightning and thunder!! Unfortunately my PC and modem were on and online.... so the unfortunate happened. The lightning fried my modem.....

When I found that I was offline and the modem's DSL light was not on, I knew the lightning had done its job. At first I was worried that my Ethernet port on the PC might be fried as well but thank goodness after checking I found that only the modem has kaput-ed.

13-11-07_1714_edited-2

RIP my trusty modem.... its has been serving me for about a year, and tirelessly too since my PC is very very seldom offline.

I depend a lot on the internet as it is where I play my games, find my info, do my blogging and most importantly keep in touch with my BB across the causeway. So I had to find a replacement fast.

So after the rain stopped I got to the local PC store and bought a new modem :)

13-11-07_1631_edited-1 copy_edited-1

Its a Aztech 2 port router/modem. You may be wondering why not go for the Wifi Router/Modem combo since I'm buying a new modem. First, I only have one PC at home. No laptop... so theoritically a normal modem would suffice. The extra port in the new modem was for BB to be able to connect through USB whenever she brought her laptop to my place. Secondly, with the new Wifi n specification in draft, I was hoping to get a router with the new specs instead of the regular b/g specs.

All in all I'm very pleased with the new modem. It looks nice and setup was also a breeze. Here's how it looks on my PC.

13-11-07_1630_edited-1 copy_edited-1 13-11-07_1632_edited-1 copy_edited-1

Hehehehe the stand is included so that the modem can be arranged vertically.... AND its WHITE in color!!! Nice....

I guess I'll just have to disconnect the next time there is a thunderstorm, although the one year warranty for the new modem SPECIFICALLY states that it is "inclusive of damage caused by lightning strikes" :D

No comments: