Monday, October 1, 2007

Fun with Saga Seeds!!

Over the weekend I was driving around town with my BB while waiting for the Malay "buka puasa" stalls to open in the early evening. So I brought her to my old primary school (more of that in another post). The front gate was locked so I decided to go around the back, since I also remembered that there used to be saga trees planted behind the school compound, near the soccer field. BB and I have been trying to find these saga trees and seeds for a long time. Seems that a lot of these trees are no longer at the places that we know of.

What was once a small mud road has now turned into a tar-ed road, with kampong houses along the road. Driving slowly, I finally saw them!!! The saga seeds scattered on the roadsides, small red dots embeded in the soil, and some on the road.

So I stopped the car and we got out to take a closer look. And there it was!!!


Hmmmmm after a little researching on the internet, I found that the scientific name for the saga tree is Adenanthera pavonina. Can you see the seeds? I zoomed in the best I could..... and here it is... :)


Those in the center are the un-fallen saga seeds. :) There were actually a lot of the fallen seeds all over the ground, so BB and me began our pickings!!!! We started by the roadside 1st.....


And slowly moved nearer to the school compound. Over there, we could find whole pieces of fallen saga seed pods, and we took some pics!! :D




We just picked and picked because this was something we wanted to do for such a long time, but could not find a suitable location where there were STILL saga trees growing!! And there WERE lots of it all over the ground!!!



Hahahhahah this is the end result of our pickings!!! BB washed them clean and we actually counted how many we picked!!



We actually picked 593 saga seeds... Looks very little but there's really so many of them in the picture!!!!! :) Most probably we will be going back there quite often to "collect" somemore saga seeds, :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow...long time never collect this "biji saga", let me think back my childhood... ;Þ

Anonymous said...

hi there..

I have been looking for places to pick up these saga seeds.

U mind telling me the exact location , and can i reach there ? I am from singapore. :)

Wz`

Anonymous said...

hey, mind telling me where's the location to pick saga seeds? really want to pick it up for my boyfriend too. thanks

Unknown said...

The location for the trees and seeds is actually Kulai. Quite a distance, about 30km from JB or 40km from Singapore. :)